Content Filter: Protecting yourself from unsafe content.
There are all different reasons that you would want to protect yourself from accessing unsafe content. NSFW sites can have all types of bad actors lurking in there pages. Because of the popularity of NSFW sites, hackers have been known to hack the sites themselves, or the ad platforms that are on them, in order to coax the unsuspecting public into giving up valuable information.
While, as adults, you can access any content that you want at any time, it is best to be aware of the where you are headed during those times that you DIDN'T want to access that content.
What Types of Sites are Considered NSFW
Your tastes will really determine what you consider NSFW or unsafe. However, here are some common sites that often have vulnerabilities and for hackers to exploit.
- Gambling Websites
- Violent Content Sites
- Piracy Sites
- Terrorist Recruitment Websites
There a lot more that would qualify as NSFW or unsafe, however, these are the ones that you are most likely to come across.
How Can Hackers Use NSFW Sites Against Me?
As stated above, adults can access any site they deem fit. And we don't judge. Our goal of walking you through this is to understand the risks that could potentially be involved.
There are a number of different ways that a hacker may use your access of a NSFW site to their advantage.
- Hacking ads on NSFW sites to lead you to malicious sites
- Setting up ads for "dating sites" that get you to cough up valuable data such as credit cards
- Social Engineering attacks based on your browsing activity. Hackers use the "shame" element to convince you that they are going to "out" you to your family and friends
- Hacking links on vulnerable sites to redirect you to malicious sites
- Causing ransomware "force redirects"
- Massive XSS vulnerabilities
What Can I Do To Ensure I Don't Get Hacked on NSFW Sites?
As with anything there are no guarantees. And the best option is to avoid these sites all together. But all of that aside.
- Browse the safest, most well-known sites from these categories
- Limit the amount of time you spend on these sites
- Be vigilant against social engineering and malicious phishing sites you are re-directed to.
- If you get force redirected to any site that has unsafe content and you did not want to go there, navigate away and DO NOT click any links.
- Automatically blocks these sites, but allows you to turn off the filter if you want to. We personally recommend Paladin's Browser Protection with Password Manager
Take only one step and your are much better off. Take all of the steps and hackers will likely have a much more difficult time hacking you over NSFW sites and getting into your accounts. Take the first step today and you are already on the right path.